Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi on Tuesday has imposed a nation lockdown for 21 days. Chief Minister of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal had taken an initiative to amend their prison rules, and introduced “emergency parole”.
In order to the Supreme Court’s order for all the states to take actions to decongest prisons, Chief Minister of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal has took an initiative to amend their prison rules to let the eligible prisoners go on parole to decongest the prisons. A plea by the Delhi Government was put before the High Court headed by Hon’ble Justice Hima Kohli was hearing the plea put forth. The plea says “… the corona virus is spreading at a very fast rate and if a proper precaution is not taken, then many more fatalities may occur. That the prisons in Delhi are already overcrowded and a single case of ”coronavirus” can affect the entire population of the prison – inmates and the staff – both. That the Government and Courts, both within and outside the country, have taken measures to prevent crowding to avoid the spread of ”corona”[i].
1. In order to control the spread of the pandemic the Delhi Government headed by the Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has introduced “emergency parole” by amending their prison rules.
2. The new emergency parole will be extended with a period of eight weeks, including the period already mentioned.
3. The plea has been filed with the High Court of Delhi by the Delhi Government.
4. The emergency parole is majorly focused to decongest prisons.
5. The petition also seeks release of Inmates who are above the age fifty, medically unfit, or any petty or minor offence case.
6. A statement made by the Delhi Home Department says “In the wake of emergent situations like threat of epidemic, natural disaster or any other similar circumstances which warrant immediate easing of population of inmates in the prison, and in order to secure the interest of inmates, the prison administration, and the society at large, the Government may grant up to eight weeks parole in one spell in addition to the regular parole as provided in these Rules[ii].”
In order to the 21 day lockdown of the nation, there might be many cases coming up. As ordered by the Supreme Court to decongest the prisons the Delhi Government introduced “emergency parole”. The State is also making sure to keep all the public places be sanitised and is taking this pandemic seriously, as the Number of virus cases in India has increases to 562.
Edited by J. Madonna Jephi
Approved & Published – Sakshi Raje
[i] Outlook, “Delhi Govt Amends Prison Rules, Introduces Emergency Parole” (https://www.outlookindia.com/March 25, 2020) <https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscroll/delhi-govt-amends-prison-rules-introduces-emergency-parole/1779498> accessed March 25, 2020
[ii] Outlook, “Delhi Govt Amends Prison Rules, Introduces Emergency Parole” (https://www.outlookindia.com/March 25, 2020) <https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscroll/delhi-govt-amends-prison-rules-introduces-emergency-parole/1779498> accessed March 25, 2020