A PIL was filed before the Hon’ble Karnataka High Court that the State Police has taken illegal interrogation action against minor students. The Minor Students of Shaheen Education Society of Bihar has staged a play on CAA. The play was filled with misleading details and harsh dialogues. The complaint was made against the Headmistress and a parent of a child under Sedition. The State Police started investigated the minor children which was contested as the procedure was illegal and against fundamental rights of children.
A Public Interest Litigation has been filed against the State Police for illegally enquiring and examining the Students from Shaheen Education Society of Bidar over a play which was concerned with Citizenship Amendment Act 2019 (CAA), last month. A play was staged consisting of students from Standard Fourth, Fifth and sixth which led to the filing of FIR by State Police against the management of School and it was a complaint filed by Neelesh Rakshyal. The allegation against the management of the School was to permit the spreading of false information against the Act and spreading the negative opinions about the Parliament by performing Anti-National Activities. The plea mentions the arrest of headmistress Fareeda Begum and Parent of a child in pursuance to the FIR filed in this matter. Due to interrogation by the State Police, there existed a hostile environment for students which will affect the studies and mental state of students. The students selected by the police was based on their whims and fancies and Alumni Association had condemned the action of events, various media reports over the report, buttress grievances regarding the illegal and malafide action of the Police officials.
The petitioners pray that the Court directed the Karnataka Police to examine minors following the provisions of law and further that the Court initiated action against the delinquent police personnel. The plea also calls for the payment of compensation to the parents or legal guardians to those students who have been illegally examined in the matter. The petitioners in the matter are Advocate Nayana Jyothi Jhawar and the South India Cell for Human Rights Education and Monitoring (SICHREM). Advocate Basawa Prasad will be representing the petitioners in the matter. The matter will be back for hearing on 14th February and the Bidar Court had declined to grant relief to the headmistress as well as the parent arrested under the Sedition charges. The complainer to the case is the member of Akhil Bharatiya Vidhyarthi Parishad (ABVP).
- The play was prepared on 21st January which was presented and prepared in Bidar.
- False information spread in the play and making the minor to say the Prime Minister must be hit with slippers.
- Objection over the manner of interrogation against the students.
- State Commission for Child Rights issued notice against the State Police of Karnataka.
- The manner of interrogation is in violation of Article 21 of The Constitution of India, Juvenile Justice Act, 2015 and Rules 2016 as well as Code of Criminal Procedure 1973.
Edited by J. Madonna Jephi
Approved & Published – Sakshi Raje
- Bar & Bench, PIL in Karnataka HC against police interrogation of minor students of Bidar school over “Anti-CAA” play https://www.barandbench.com/news/pil-in-karnataka-hc-against-police-interrogation-of-minor-students-of-bidar-school-over-anti-caa-play
- India Legal, Plea seeking action against Bidar Police for ‘interrogating minors’ filed in Karnataka High Court https://www.indialegallive.com/top-news-of-the-day/news/petition-against-bidar-police-interrogating-minors-filed-in-karnataka-high-court-88155