A special court in Lucknow delivered the much-awaited judgment on Wednesday in the 1992 Babri Masjid demolition case. All the 32 accused, including BJP veterans L.K. Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi, have been acquitted.
CBI Judge Surendra Kumar Yadav had on September 16th directed all the 32 surviving accused to remain present in the court on the day of the judgment.
“The detailed 2,000 page judgement has rejected the CBI case that the demolition was a conspiracy and pre planned. This has been the consistent stand of the BJP and its senior leaders, which stands validated,” BJP spokesperson Nalin Kohli said. He added that in criminal law, evidence has to stand the scrutiny in court beyond reasonable doubt. “It must be pointed out that the CBI had submitted all the evidence prior to the formation of the Modi government,” he said.
Court ruled video recording was tampered, CBI didn’t follow procedure: Defence lawyer
- Special CBI Judge S.K. Yadav did not admit the videos produced by the Central Bureau of Investigation, holding that the recording had been tampered with, defence lawyer Manish Tripathi said. The judge also did not admit the photographs submitted by the CBI since it could not produce the original negatives. The judge also agreed with the defence that the CBI did not follow provisions of the Evidence Act.
The UP police have issued a High Alert across the State in view of the verdict of the Babri mosque demolition case.