The Court of Judicial Commissioner (CJC) ordered the conviction of eleven people in connection with the rape of a law student studying in National University of Study and Research in Law (NSURL), Ranchi. The incident occurred in November, last year and people who were involved in this act were Sunil Munda, Sandip Tirkey, Ajay Munda, Rajan Oroan, Kuldip Oraon, Sunil Oraon, Naveen Oraon, Basant Kachaap, Ravi Oraon, Rohit Oraon and Rishi Tirkey. The judgment was given in a packed court by Judicial Commissioner Naveen Kumar making the convicts liable under Section 376D, 366, 342, 379, 411, 323, and 120-B of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). The aforementioned convicts were produced for the hearing through video-conferencing from Birsa Munda Central Jail where they have been kept in the prison. The arguments on the point of sentencing would take place on Monday.
The victim and her friend were standing near the bus stop near the village of Sangrampur when the convicts came and forcibly take her away. The victim did showcase resistance against the crime committed by the convicts. The police arrested the convicts in the crime but one of them turned out to be a minor with age of seventeen years (17 years) but his case has been referred to the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB). The High Court of Jharkhand had ordered for the day to day basis hearing of the heinous crime committed by the convicts. The Public Prosecutor representing the convict said before the bench said, “The prosecution side produced 21 witnesses. The oral evidence including statements of the victim and her friend, the medical shreds of evidence, DNA profiles and also the call detail recordings and tower location of the accused persons were produced to establish an allegation during the trial”. The quantum of the verdict will come on 2nd March 2020 as one of the accused is juvenile, and is being heard in the Juvenile Court. The complaint was filed by the victim in the Kanke Police Station on November 27, 2019. The report from the forensic lab confirmed that the girl was raped by twelve people.
There were several lawyers from the city including the former secretary of Ranchi District Association Sanjay Virodhi welcomed the decision given by the Court of Judicial Commissioner.
- The age of the victims was from 18 to 30 years of age.
- The condition of the victim was bad when she reaches the police station to file the report.
- Overpowered them at gun-point and forcefully took the girl.
- The incident took place eight kilometres from the official residence of Chief Minister of Jharkhand.
- The convicts confessed to the crime in the raid conducted by the police.
Edited by J. Madonna Jephi
Approved & Published – Sakshi Raje
- Times of India, Ranchi law student abducted and gang-raped, 12 arrested https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/ranchi/ranchi-law-student-abducted-and-gang-raped-12-arrested/articleshow/72286376.cms
- Live Law.in, Ranchi Court Convicts 11 Accused In Law Student Rape Case https://www.livelaw.in/news-updates/ranchi-court-convicts-11-accused-in-law-student-rape-case-153181