Mr. K. Muthu Kumar Nayakar and Dr. K.M. Senthamizh Selvan are members among the Ayush Medical Welfare Association, they filed a writ petition with the High Court urging the State Government that their representations be considered.
The representation filed requests the High Court to direct the State Government to grant permission for the use of alternative medicine like Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani, and Homeopathy to cure the coronavirus, apart from the allopathic which is being used currently. While conducting the hearing through video conference Additional Advocate General Arvindh Pandian has informed the court that the technical committee appointed by the State Government might give a consideration for the use of such medicine. The High Court bench comprising of Hon’ble Justice Dr. Vineeth Kothari and Hon’ble Justice R. Suresh Kumar has issued a notice to the State Government’s technical committee to consider the representation made by the petitioners.
1. K. Muthu Kumar Nayakar and Dr. K.M. Senthamizh Selvan are members among the Ayush Medical Welfare Association who requested the High Court to direct the State Government to consider the representations they made to cure the coronavirus.
2. In the hearing Additional Advocate General Arvindh Pandian has informed the court that the technical committee appointed by the Government may consider the representations.
3. The representation made by the petitioners prefers to the use of alternative medicine like Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani, and Homeopathy to cure the coronavirus, apart from the allopathic which is being used currently.
4. The High Court has sent a notice to the State Government’s technical committee to consider the representations made by the petitioner; the notice shall be returnable by four weeks[i].
5. The High Court also directs the State government to look into the supply of hand sanitizers and marks for the people at large to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
6. The High Court is of the hope that the technical committee comes to a decision quickly, so the public at large can be benefitted.
All the necessary measure to prevent the spread of the virus is nearly perfect in India, while keeping the people in their houses is not the only issue. As there is a rapid rise in the number of people infected with the virus increases ways to cure people who are already affected are being looked into. As of now only the allopathic medicines were being used and people are still searching for cure to the virus, when found a way to the use of Ayurveda, Unani, and Siddha. They need permission from the government before in operation. The petitioners who are part of Ayush Medical Welfare Association request the High Court to direct and urge the Government in use of this medicine.
Edited by J. Madonna Jephi
Approved & Published – Sakshi Raje
[i] Meera Emmanuel, Madras HC directs govt committee to consider representation for use of Indian traditional medicine to treat COVID-19 [Read Order] Bar and Bench – Indian Legal news, https://www.barandbench.com/news/litigation/madras-hc-directs-govt-committee-to-consider-representation-for-use-of-indian-traditional-medicine-to-treat-covid-19-read-order (last visited Apr 1, 2020).