The National Law University of Delhi released the notification for admission and seats have increased to 110 from 80. They have mentioned that due to paucity of rooms in hostels, newcomers from Delhi/NCR will not be getting accommodation in the campus. This lead to writing a letter pontificated to The Chief Justice of Delhi High Court and other Judges for their intrusion into the reservation policy. The Alumni and Present students of National Law University (NLU), Delhi is against the recommendation of 50% reservation which will be based on submission of domicile. The order of the Administration on the reservation will imperialize female safety; dilute the national culture which is the character of the institution along with that the notification dismisses residential accommodation to students within the campus. Furthermore, it emphasized upon the female safety as the condition and facility to render assurance isn’t available in the city, which will force them to not employ and lose out of degree education. Perhaps, they brought the attention on Section 5 of the National University Act, 2007 which says, it is the responsibility of the University to contribute methods related to accommodation, discipline and teaching of women students.
The percentage of female in 2023 and 2024 batch is low as compared to previous batches. Adequately, in the letter, they stated the numbers of women studying and specifications about the percentage of rich are lower. There is erudition; Advocates from Bengaluru have requested the Administration to bring reservation policy in NLSIU, Bengaluru and NLU Odisha proposed 25% reservation in Under-Graduate as well as Post-Graduate courses. The students of NLU Delhi are demurring against the termination of 55 house-keeping escorts; they alleged is a violation of labour law.
- NLU model will be at stake.
- It would transform the institution from ran ‘elite’ hub of learning into ‘elitist’ one.
- Students seek out education which is accessible to economically and socially backward class.
- The letter brought the attention on the Teacher-Student ration and Infrastructure.
- Notification will wreck the sex-ratio prevailing in the University.
Edited by J. Madonna Jephi
Approved & Published – Sakshi Raje
- Live Law. in, NLU Delhi Students Write To Delhi HC CJ Opposing Move For 50% Domicile Reservation
- Bar& Bench, Diversity of thought and background under threat: NLU Delhi students pen open letter to Delhi HC against proposed 50% domicile reservation https://www.barandbench.com/news/lawschools/nlu-delhi-students-open-letter-to-delhi-hc-against-50-domicile-reservation
- Legally India, NLU Delhi starts 50% Delhi state domicile reservations, following wider NLU balkanisation trend https://www.legallyindia.com/lawschools/nlu-delhi-starts-50-delhi-state-domicile-reservations- following-wider-nlu-balkanisation-trend-20200115-11148