A 40 -year old man set himself ablaze on Friday in front of the mobile phone service centre in Rohini. The centre has refused to replace a phone which he had bought recently.
The man is undergoing treatment at Baba Saheb Ambedkar Hospital’s ICU and the condition is stable. He has gifted the phone to his niece for online classes but the phone stopped working suddenly.
The man identified as Bhim Singh, a resident of Prahladpur village and runs a small shop where he sells and repairs batteries of inverter.
Pramod Kumar Mishra, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Rohini) said, according to the CCTV footage, the man set himself on fire by pouring petrol while coming out of the mobile centre. The people around somehow managed to douse the blaze.
“Singh told the cops that he had purchased a mobile phone from a store near his house in Prahladpur. However, soon, it stopped working. Singh claimed that when he approached the service centre on November 6, the staff declined to replace the phone,” the DCP said.
“Singh further corresponded with them but in vain. On Friday, he again went to the centre and when the staff there refused to replace the mobile phone; he stepped out and set himself ablaze. Further investigations are under way,” DCP Mishra added.
“The phone was heating up quite often. Around ten days back, the battery burst after a fall.” said Singh’s wife Poonam.